HIV Vaccine Research Grants for African-American and Latino/a Medical Students
Applications are due by 5 PM PST on January 3, 2018
The HIV Vaccine Trials Network, in collaboration with the National Institute of Mental Health and the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, is investing in a young generation of HIV prevention researchers by providing African-American and Latino/a medical students with opportunities for independent research along with structured mentoring, project and salary funding, training, and professional development activities. The complete Request for Applications can be found at http://www.hvtn.org/ramp.
Who can apply?
The HVTN will be accepting up to 8 RAMP scholars that meet the following criteria:
- Self-identify as African-American and/or Latino/a
- Student at US medical school
- In good academic standing
- US citizen or US permanent resident
- Interested in pursuing a future career in HIV research
If you are interested in applying, contact the RAMP Manager at HVTNAwards@hvtn.org. The RAMP Manager will connect you with investigators who can assist you in selecting a project or topic of interest and potentially serve as a mentor for that project.
The deadline for initial contact with mentors is December 6, 2017. Applications are due via the RAMP Application Form by 5:00 pm PST on January 3, 2018.
For More Information
All correspondence concerning the program should be addressed to:
Jenna Udren, MPH
HIV Vaccine Trials Network
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
1100 Eastlake Ave., E3-300
Seattle, WA 98109-1024
Office: (206) 667-6712
The GE-National Medical Fellowship Primary Care Leadership Program (PCLP) Application is now available!
PCLP candidates are students from underrepresented minority groups and/or socioeconomically disadvantaged backgrounds. Applicants must be 1st or 2nd year medical students.
PCLP Scholars will be placed at one of their partner community health centers during the summer to participate in a summer service-learning opportunity focused on developing leadership skills.
Each Scholar receives a $5,000 scholarship stipend, which is expected to cover travel, living, and lodging expenses incurred during program participation.
Applications due January 31, 2018
For more information and application: https://www.nmfonline.org/about-our-scholarships-and-awards/service-learning-programs/nmf-primary-care-leadership-program/
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact email@example.com; for the Primary Care Leadership Program, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
NMF General Scholarships
NMF offers a variety of general scholarships to underrepresented minority students enrolled in medical school. The awards range from $2,000 – $7,500.
Deadline to Apply: usually September
For more information and to apply: National Medical Fellowships – General Scholarships & Awards
The American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (AACAP) is sending out this final call for applications for AACAP’s Jeanne Spurlock Minority Medical Student Research Fellowship! This is a great opportunity for medical students of color to become engaged in substance abuse research.
Visit for more information and the application: http://www.aacap.org/AACAP/Awards/Medical_Students_Awards/Spurlock_Research_Fellowship.aspx
Deadline: March 2, 2018
The Jeanne Spurlock Minority Medical Student Research Fellowship in Substance Abuse and Addiction provides up to $4,000 for 12 weeks of research training in substance abuse and addiction under a mentor with established and related expertise. Although preferred, the mentor does not need to be a child psychiatrist by training. This program also provides additional travel funds to attend the AACAP Annual Meeting on October 23 – 28, 2017 to present their research in a new research poster session.
- Applications are considered from African-American, Native American, Alaskan Native, Mexican American, Hispanic, Asian, and Pacific Islander students in accredited U.S. medical schools.
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
- Participants agree that their fellowships will last 12 consecutive weeks (All fellowships less than 12 weeks must receive approval by AACAP. Fellowships less than eight weeks will NOT be considered). The expectation is that the student will complete 60 work days at 8 hours per day to complete the fellowship.
- Participants agree to submit an abstract outlining their new research poster presentations for publication in the AACAP Scientific Proceedings by July 15, 2016.
- Participants agree to attend the AACAP Annual Meeting
- Participants agree to submit all required reporting documentation prior to the AACAP Annual Meeting, including a final report, a copy of the new research poster, a thank you letter to the funder, and an evaluation of the program completed by the participant and the mentor.
- Participants agree to participate in all annual surveys as part of the program’s evaluation process
Thomara Latimer Cancer Foundation Scholarship Fund
- Application is open ONLY to African American students, ages 17-30, who are Michigan residents.
- Must be a college student admitted to a medically related professional program; e.g., nursing, medicine, physical or occupational therapy, AND
- Must submit an official transcript with G.P.A., AND
- Must have a minimum overall G.P.A. of 3.0.
- Note: A personal interview is required.
TLCF recipients may only receive the award twice.
Deadline: December 29, 2017
Thomara Latimer Cancer Foundation
Franklin Plaza Center
29193 Northwestern Hwy #528
For information and application: http://thomlatimercares.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/rev3-TLCF-Scholarship-Application-for-2017-2018.pdf
NMF offers scholarships, awards and fellowship programs to United States citizens from groups currently underrepresented in the medical profession; specifically, African-Americans, Alaska Natives, Hispanic/Latinos, Native Hawaiians, Native Americans, Vietnamese, Cambodians, and mainland Puerto Ricans who permanently reside within the 50 U.S states.
For information about these programs visit: https://www.nmfonline.org/about-our-scholarships-and-awards/programs/