UVA Serpentine Society
Peter L. Page Grant
The Peter Page Grant provides awards to highly-motivated gay male students with financial need. Current undergraduate or graduate students who attend the University of Virginia on a full-time basis can apply for a one-year grant.
Decisions will be based on academic achievements, financial need, essays, extracurricular activities, and awards demonstrating exceptional commitment to bettering LGBT community at UVa and beyond.
Recipients can apply for the grant again the following year.
Application Deadline: August 1, 2017
“Like in 2016, we’re going to give out five awards. However, we’ve raised quite a bit more money for 2017, so the prize amounts for 1st-3rd should be quite a bit higher.”
- 1st Place- 60% of the cash raised
- 2nd Place- 30% of the cash raised
- 3rd Place- 10% of the cash raised
- 4th Place- A copy of The White Coat Investor: A Doctor’s Guide to Personal Finance and Investing for every member of your class, plus a $100 Amazon gift certificate
- 5th Place- $100 Amazon gift certificate
How much cash has been raised so far?
So far for 2017 the scholarship amount is $34,150.
Who can apply?
Only professional students enrolled full-time for the 2017-2018 year and in good academic standing are eligible (yes, we actually call your school and check.) That means medicine, osteopathy, dentistry, law, pharmacy, nurse practitioner, physician assistant, optometry, podiatry etc. No undergraduates. No residents. Even if you’re a dental resident paying tuition. Sorry. Students only.
You do not need to be a US resident, but you MUST HAVE A US SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER. As we are not a registered charity, the winners of the top three prizes will be required to fill out a W-9 for us and we will issue them a 1099 and report the income to the IRS. Consider it to be fully taxable income. The good news is your tax bracket is almost surely dramatically lower than ours, allowing us to give more and you to receive more on an after-tax basis.
Deadline: Applications open June 1, 2017. The final date for submission is August 31, 2017.
Website and application: https://whitecoatinvestor.com/scholarship/
American Society of Hematology — Minority Medical Student Award Program
The ASH’s Minority Medical Student Award Program offers 8 to 12 week summer research experiences in the study of hematology.
Minorities include American Indians, Native Alaskans, Native Hawaiians and Pacific Islanders, Blacks or African Americans, and Hispanics or Latinos.
Participants receive the following:
- A $5,000 stipend to support their summer research experience
- A $1,000 travel allowance to attend the ASH annual meeting
- $1,000 after the ASH annual meeting for presenting their research at the Promoting Minorities in Hematology event
- Complimentary subscriptions during medical school and residency to Blood, the journal of the American Society of Hematology, and The Hematologist, the Society’s newsletter
- The guidance of a research mentor and a career-development mentor
Application requirements include a completed form, a current resume and 3 letters of recommendation.
|Application and Request a Mentor Form Available
||August 1, 2017
|Request a Mentor Deadline
||November 15, 2017
||January 15, 2018
||Early March 2018
For further information visit http://www.hematology.org/Awards/MMSAP/2624.aspx#c, or telephone 202-776-0544 or email email@example.com