In spring 2018, Veterans United Foundation will award up to three (3) scholarships to eligible recipients. Each award is for up to $20,000 and is nonrenewable.
Spring Application Timeline:
*Spring 2018 Application Period: Starts March 5, 2018 at 8:00 am CST
*Spring 2018 Application Period: Ends March 30, 2018 at 5:00 pm CST (Veterans United Foundation will accept a limited number of application submissions. The application period can end sooner if the number has been met.)
*Winners notified directly via email or phone: By April 13, 2018.
Fall Application Timeline: TBD
To be eligible for this scholarship award, applicants must be:
- A surviving spouse or child of a deceased Veteran of the U.S. Military
- Currently enrolled or planning to enroll in a college or university by the fall semester of 2018
- Pursuing an associate’s, bachelor’s, graduate, post-graduate or doctoral degree
- Comfortable with sharing personal stories and aspirations with Veterans United Foundation
- Willing and able to provide the following within 1-2 days of requests made by staff of Veterans United Foundation:
- Deceased parent or spouse’s military documents (DD214 and death certificate / or DD1300)
- Full FAFSA submission
- Willing and able to provide Veterans United Foundation with receipts or invoices related to eligible educational costs as they are incurred in order to receive payment. Eligible costs include tuition, books, fees, school materials and some aspects of room and board as determined by Veterans United Foundation. Payments may be made directly to the school or reimbursed to the award recipient.
Awards will be given based on the following criteria:
- A 2-3 page typed essay telling your story, how losing your spouse or parent has affected you, explaining who you are, where your life has taken you and what you hope to pursue through your college education and beyond
- Financial need, as determined by the Veterans United Foundation awards team and based on full FAFSA submission
- Community, church, sports, or school involvement or achievements
- Any additional information you would like to have considered (may include photos, drawings, poems, additional writings, etc.)