$2000 first, $800 second, and $550 for third. Prizes will be paid after the receipt of required documentation (see Requirements for winning essays, below).
Authors must be enrolled in medical schools that have an active ΑΩΑ Chapter or association, but need not be members of ΑΩΑ. However, if the author is an AΩA member, he/she must be an active member. Only one entry may be submitted per student.
Entries must be submitted by online form on the AΩA website no later than 11:59 PM, January 31, 2019, PST. Winners will be announced May 1, 2019.
Requirements for Essays
- Essays must be written while the student is in medical school, must be the work of a single author, and must be an original work.
- The essay may be on any nontechnical subject related to medicine.
- The essay must not exceed 15 double-spaced pages of 12-point type with minimum 1-inch margins, exclusive of reference listing. The author’s name and essay title must be on each page, and all pages must be numbered.
- Unique references, numbered consecutively, are limited to 20. (Reference citation of websites is not acceptable unless a site is the sole source of the information or has official academic credentials. Examples of acceptable sites are official government web pages such as that of the National Institutes of Health.)
- The paper must not be offered to, or published by, any other journal or entered in any other contest prior to submission to the AΩA or during the AΩA selection process. Essays that are not selected as winning essays in this AΩA Student Competition may be submitted to other contests/publications after the winners are announced.
- Essays not meeting all requirements will not be accepted.
By submitting your writing to us, you give us exclusive rights to publication or first refusal.
You should have no expectations of privacy regarding the submission and its review.
Contact Libby Appel at 720-859-4149, or firstname.lastname@example.org